Mike Gundy praises Collin Klein’s improved passing accuracy
Collin Klein was obviously a popular topic at Monday’s Oklahoma State media luncheon. The Heisman frontrunner tends to command that type of attention.
Of course, the Kansas State quarterback is known for his tough running style and leadership. But OSU coach Mike Gundy said the biggest difference in watching Klein on film this season versus last is his arm.
“It looks like to me that he’s worked really hard in the offseason on his accuracy on his downfield throw,” Gundy said. “…Give him the time, and his accuracy is considerably better, in my opinion, than it would have been over a year ago.”
Gundy is absolutely right. This season, Klein is completing nearly 71 percent of his passes, a huge jump from 57.3 percent a year ago. OSU defensive coordinator Bill Young admitted that Klein has an “awkward” throwing motion, but that the ball gets to the right spot at the right time.
And against OSU last season, Klein actually had what was once regarded as one of his best passing days, throwing for 231 yards and a touchdown to complement his 144 rushing yards and three scores.
Gundy also noted Klein can do more with his legs than those power runs in the middle of the field.
“You see him (on highlights) in goal-line and short-yardage, where he makes some runs where he just runs over people,” Gundy said. “But if you watch the rest of the game, you’ll see that he slithers and slides and he’s a lot more deceiving in the open field than what you see on the highlights.”
Overall, Klein has accounted for 1,630 passing yards, 634 rushing yards and 28 total touchdowns.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 43037Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15155Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9718Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8776Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8708Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7875Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7675Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7121Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6968Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5760Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients