Rapid reaction: Oklahoma State falls 44-30 to Kansas State in Manhattan
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com – @anthonyVslater
Upended by turnovers and special teams woes, Oklahoma State fell 44-30 in Manhattan on Saturday night. Here’s some rapid reaction:
Backed up near his end zone late in the first half and trailing by only seven, Wes Lunt had a chance (with a long drive) to completely shift momentum toward the Cowboys and put a halftime scare in the Manhattan crown. Instead, he did the opposite, throwing a bad pick-six (his third in four starts). Oklahoma State was never again within single-digits.
It was over when…
…Wes Lunt tossed his third interception of the game, floating an errant red zone pass early in the third quarter to squash a long OSU drive. Kansas State proceeded to take the turnover and march down the field for a touchdown and 21-point lead, while Lunt, who was hit hard on the intercepted throw, went to locker room with concussion-like symptoms.
Trending upward – Clint Chelf’s quarterbacking
Can’t say enough about the junior’s relief performance. When many thought it was over (see above), he at least provided brief hope. In less than a half, Chelf threw for 233 yards and a touchdown. His late interception officially sealed the Cowboys’ third loss, but it was one of the few mistakes OSU’s junior made. On the road against the nation’s #2 team (could be #1 by tomorrow night), Chelf showed confidence and poise in an environment that would rattle most. If Wes Lunt can’t go next weekend (or even if he can), Chelf will get the nod. And OSU fans will feel be fine with that.
Trending downward – Wes Lunt’s quarterbacking
Understand the circumstances before you judge him too harshly. A 19-year-old on the road in primetime against a national championship level team. The brief positives were good, the three interceptions were worse. Oklahoma State fans hoped (and were told) he was a true freshman that played like a seasoned veteran. He’s not. He’s a true freshman playing like one, with a lot of talent and a lot to learn.
Tweet of the game
Not impressed with Wes Lunt
Impressed with Clint Chelf
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients