Mike Gundy, circa 1983.
Each Tuesday we run a photographic memory in The Oklahoman. In tomorrow’s paper, this is a photo assistant editor Scott Munn found in our archives of Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy pitching in middle school. We thought you would enjoy this.
This young man never went on to play professional baseball. Instead, he would star in football at Midwest City High School and Oklahoma State University. In this 1983 photo from The Oklahoman archives, Mike Gundy was a right-handed pitcher for Monroney Junior High. He threw a one-hitter on this April day against Edmond. He would quarterback Midwest City to a state championship (1985) and Oklahoma State to Sun Bowl (1987) and Holiday Bowl (1988) victories. As its head coach since 2005, Gundy helped turn Oklahoma State into one of the finest football programs in the country.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 20548Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16464Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 11845Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 11178Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9890Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9771Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9386OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5427Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 5123Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
- 4825Student shot dead during botched home invasion
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients