More on Oklahoma State FB Kye Staley being granted a sixth year of eligibility
Kye Staley’s battle back from a severe knee injury that should have ended his career has evolved from a feel-good and inspirational story to a straight-up success story. He’s not only back on the field; he’s thriving in a critical role in the Cowboys’ offense.
And last night we broke that the Oklahoma State fullback and fan favorite has been granted a sixth year of eligibility.
I talked to Staley about the news Monday afternoon. Here are some leftover quotes that did not make it into the story.
On the play he sustained the injury in 2009:
“I was just trying to make a play and just got rolled up. (Former OSU defensive tackle) Chris Donaldson came in and just hit me in my knee, and everything just tore. I layed there and it was hot and I was swearing and cursing. It was miserable. When I was hurt was probably one of the worst days of my life.”
On the long recovery process:
“The main thing I didn’t have was confidence. Even though it wasn’t true, I felt like none of the coaches really had confidence that I could come back in play. I felt like they had basically just written me off.”
“Coach (Rob) Glass, he still believed in me. He worked me out 100 times harder.”
“Didn’t like John (Stemm) for a little bit. Now that I look back on it, I’m really glad he pushed me the way he did.”
“I knew that I could do it. Because if I could make it through that knee injury and (come) back, I knew I could play football again.”
On the move to fullback:
“I’ve always been a team player. I put the team first before I put myself. I wasn’t recruited to be a fullback, but I embrace the role. Coach (Jemal) Singleton asked me to be that person, and I embraced that role and just took a whole different attitude toward that position.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients