OSU-West Virginia: Halftime thoughts, notes and stats
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
Oklahoma State leads West Virginia 31-17 at halftime in Stillwater. Here’s some thoughts, notes and stats:
- From coverage errors to penalty problems, Justin Gilbert’s struggles have been well-documented. It’s a recent slump that has now eroded his playing time, with freshman corner Kevin Peterson getting a bulk of Gilbert’s usual snaps in the first half. But despite the recurring issues, Gilbert showed why his playmaking skills are so important to (and have been missed by) the Cowboys. After West Virginia’s first touchdown, Gilbert fielded the ensuing kickoff, waited patiently for a brief moment and then burst through an open hole in the coverage, showing off his 4.4 speed on a 96-yard kickoff return.
- The kick return TD was Gilbert’s first this season, but fifth of his career, putting him past Perrish Cox for the most in Oklahoma State history.
- Clint Chelf has been solid in his starting debut, throwing for 142 yards and two touchdowns in the first half. Circumstances are certainly on his side, with a bad opposing defense and some special teams and turnover help. But a 31-point half is about all you could ask.
- Probably the best half of football in Josh Stewart’s two seasons in Stillwater. He was Chelf’s main target, catching six passes for 81 yards and a touchdown.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients
Send me a copy of this email.