Pokes Preview: Oklahoma State hosts West Virginia
Coming off a 44-30 loss at Kansas State and amid more quarterback injury questions, Oklahoma State returns home to host a reeling West Virginia squad Saturday afternoon at Boone Pickens Stadium.
Wes Lunt or Clint Chelf?
As the OSU quarterback carousel turns. At this point, I think Chelf gets his first-career start Saturday. He performed admirably when thrust into action against Kansas State, and based on how out of it Lunt looked on the sideline last week, I find it hard to believe he’ll be ready to go today. Though nothing would surprise me with how wacky this situation has been all season, and coach Mike Gundy and Todd Monken both said they expected Lunt to practice this week. But my gut says Chelf.
Can the Cowboys slow Tavon Austin down?
Austin and Geno Smith’s downfield passing game will be a huge test for an OSU secondary that has been suspect at times this season. But where Austin is particularly dangerous is on returns. He’s averaging 32.9 yards per kick return, which ranks fifth in the nation, and 9.2 yards per punt return. He’s scored a touchdown on each type of return this season. Of course, by now you know OSU has given up two kickoff returns for a touchdown and allowed nearly 240 return yards against K-State. The Wildcats’ Tyler Lockett is a terrific returner. Austin is better.
Over/Under 100 points?
No doubt this is going to be a shootout. But how high will the point totals go? Even with WVU’s recent offensive struggles, it’s not to fathom both teams going over 50. At all.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients