Clint Chelf to start at quarterback against Texas Tech
Clint Chelf will make his second consecutive start at quarterback in Oklahoma State’s game against Texas Tech Saturday afternoon, coach Mike Gundy said on the Cowboy Radio Network’s pregame show.
Chelf, a redshirt junior who began the season as the third-team quarterback, made his first-career start last week against West Virginia, throwing for 292 yards and four touchdowns in a 55-34 OSU victory.
The OSU quarterback position has been hit hard by injuries all season, but opening day starter Wes Lunt and backup J.W. Walsh were medically cleared to play last week, according to Cowboy offensive coordinator Todd Monken.
Lunt missed nearly four games because of a knee/ankle injury sustained against Louisiana-Lafayette on Sept. 15, then was knocked out of the Kansas State game two weeks ago because of an apparent head injury. Walsh started three games in Lunt’s place, but suffered what was originally identified by OSU coach Mike Gundy as a season-ending knee injury against Iowa State on Oct. 20.
Chelf has completed nearly 64 percent of his passes for 576 yards, six touchdowns and three interceptions this season. Walsh’s injury promoted him to the backup role before he replaced Lunt early in the second half of the K-State game. In that game, he completed 16 of his 27 passes for 233 yards, one touchdown and one interception.
Previously, Chelf spent two weeks as Brandon Weeden’s backup.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 26273Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 15002Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7114OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5706Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5522OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4689Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3649Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3600Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3343Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3206Oklahoma City Thunder: The time has come for OKC's young players
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients