Rapid reaction: Oklahoma State cruises past Tech for easy 59-21 win
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
Oklahoma State jumped out to an early lead and cruised on Saturday, beating Texas Tech 59-21 on Senior Day in Stillwater. Here’s some rapid reaction:
Todd Monken should attach film of the first drive to his resume this offseason and wait for the calls to roll in. The Cowboys were balanced and tricky on that 12-play 75-yard opening statement. They used two running backs, two quarterbacks and essentially scored two touchdowns (Isaiah Anderson dropped a TD on the drive’s seventh play, something he’d make up for later). And the CarWalsh (or whatever you want to call the J.W. Walsh formation) was finally unleashed, effective immediately with a touchdown pass. Beautiful play-calling and creativity, letting Tech and anyone in attendance know early on who was dictating this game.
It was over when…
…Oklahoma State put on a second half clinic, showing that the popularized air raid is a weapon, but doesn’t define them. The Cowboys didn’t complete a pass in the final 30 minutes, but managed to outscore Tech 24-7 over that time. It was a combination of dominant defense, effective rushing attack and great special teams
Star of the game – Isaiah Anderson
Quiet career, legendary Senior Day. Isaiah Anderson caught four passes for 174 yards and three touchdowns — all in the first half — during an outburst that nobody could have predicted. Coming in, Anderson had no touchdowns and only 123 yards this season. His career-high in a game was 63, eclipsed early on with a 66-yard touchdown and nearly tripled in the game. What a way to go out.
Clint Chelf played well again, controlling the game and throwing the deep ball with accuracy no one predicted he’d ever have. His stats weren’t amazing (229 yards and three touchdowns, all coming in the first half) but much of that was due to Tech’s inability to stay competitive. Regardless of what is said early next week, expect him to get the start in Norman on Saturday, for what’s shaping up as a potential Bedlam BCS play-in game. That’s when he’ll get his chance to make a definitive statement for the starting job next year.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14417OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 14044Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8989Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 7004Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5982Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5451Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5357Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 4703Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 4345Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 4109'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients