Sorting out the possible Big 12 tiebreakers involving Oklahoma State
For Tuesday’s newspaper, I wrote about how reaching a BCS game is still a possibility for Oklahoma State — if it wins out.
That has led to several questions about the various tiebreakers in the instances that two, three or even four teams finish with a 7-2 record in conference play. Let’s try to break down the ones down that involve OSU.
Again, these scenarios all first depend on OSU winning out, which certainly isn’t a given with road games against Oklahoma and Baylor remaining. Additionally, Texas must beat K-State to create any tie involving OSU, because a Wildcat victory would put them at 8-1 and clinch the Big 12′s automatic BCS bid.
Scenario 1: OSU wins out, Texas beats TCU and Kansas State, Oklahoma loses Bedlam but beats TCU.
1. Texas (gets Big 12′s automatic bid to Fiesta Bowl)
2. Kansas State
Why: OSU and OU finish 1-2 against the other co-champs, with OSU winning the head-to-head Bedlam battle. Texas and K-State finish 2-1 against the other co-champs, with Texas winning the head-to-head battle with K-State.
Scenario 2: OSU wins out, Texas loses to TCU but beats K-State, OU loses Bedlam but beats TCU
1. Kansas State (gets Big 12′s automatic bid to Fiesta Bowl)
Why: Kansas State beat both OSU and OU. OSU beat OU head-to-head.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36375Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32316Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 24292Oklahoma tornado levels homes in trailer park
- 8069Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6178OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3621College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3359Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3278Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
- 3188Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3141George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients