Sorting out the possible Big 12 tiebreakers involving Oklahoma State
For Tuesday’s newspaper, I wrote about how reaching a BCS game is still a possibility for Oklahoma State — if it wins out.
That has led to several questions about the various tiebreakers in the instances that two, three or even four teams finish with a 7-2 record in conference play. Let’s try to break down the ones down that involve OSU.
Again, these scenarios all first depend on OSU winning out, which certainly isn’t a given with road games against Oklahoma and Baylor remaining. Additionally, Texas must beat K-State to create any tie involving OSU, because a Wildcat victory would put them at 8-1 and clinch the Big 12′s automatic BCS bid.
Scenario 1: OSU wins out, Texas beats TCU and Kansas State, Oklahoma loses Bedlam but beats TCU.
1. Texas (gets Big 12′s automatic bid to Fiesta Bowl)
2. Kansas State
Why: OSU and OU finish 1-2 against the other co-champs, with OSU winning the head-to-head Bedlam battle. Texas and K-State finish 2-1 against the other co-champs, with Texas winning the head-to-head battle with K-State.
Scenario 2: OSU wins out, Texas loses to TCU but beats K-State, OU loses Bedlam but beats TCU
1. Kansas State (gets Big 12′s automatic bid to Fiesta Bowl)
Why: Kansas State beat both OSU and OU. OSU beat OU head-to-head.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13578Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 13348OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10346Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 8794Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7680Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5623Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5418Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 5016Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4897Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 4295Several factors come into play on whether Kevin Martin returns to Thunder
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients