Oklahoma State and OU are tied 24-24 at halftime in Norman. Here’s some thoughts, notes and stats:
- It was a tale of two quarters. Oklahoma State won the first 14-3 and OU won the second 21-10.
- Michael Hunnicutt’s 32-yard missed field goal, which was preceded by a strange Belldozer call and drive stall, sucked the wind out of OU and its crowd early. After trading three-and-outs, OSU then scored the game’s first points and seized control.
- And Landry Jones only added to the Sooners’ early troubles, tossing an errant and inexcusable interception minutes later. Under pressure, Jones floated one to OSU linebacker Lyndell Johnson, who ran it back into the red zone, setting up Joseph Randle’s second touchdown and OSU’s 14-0 lead.
- Jones came back with a trio of nice drives, vaulting OU right back in it. And overall, he looked good and his stats look better (292 passing yards and three touchdowns), but that early interception may loom large late. And if he’s not able to avoid another careless mistake, his senior season could be defined by three home losses riddled with big stats but costly turnovers.
- For OSU, the momentum changer was a strange onside kick call. Up 17-3, the Cowboys went for an early kill shot and it backfired. OU recovered a poor onside kick, scored a touchdown, picked off Clint Chelf (on a dropped pass) and scored another touchdown.
- But the Cowboys immediately seized back momentum, thanks to a Josh Stewart one-hander and Todd Monken’s trickeration (Joseph Randle to Clint Chelf on a double-pass for the game’s longest completion).
- Annnnnd OU took it right back, with a beautifully executed two-minute drive to end the half, capped off with a back-shoulder touchdown to Kenny Stills.
- By the way, how about this first-half stat line from Clint Chelf: 104 passing yards, 63 rushing yards and 36 receiving yards. We’ve got a triple double alert in Norman. Your move, Johnny Football.
- I won’t waste your time talking about the defenses because they didn’t bother to show up. OSU’s corners are getting torched and Monken is lighting Mike Stoops up.
- 24-24, should be a wild final 30 minutes.