By the numbers: Oklahoma State’s final national rankings
With bowl season in the books, the NCAA updated its final statistical rankings.
A few things that stick out:
*Who would have thought J.W. Walsh would finish fourth in the nation in passing efficiency? He disappeared from these rankings for a few weeks while he was hurt, but by the end, he had played in enough of the Cowboys games to qualify again.
*OSU had problems forcing turnovers for much of the season. But it had a strong stretch run in that category, and finished with a somewhat respectable even turnover margin (22 takeaways and giveaways). That ranked 58th in the nation. After leading college football in that category last season, though, that’s still a disappointing number by the Cowboys’ standards.
*The Cowboys’ struggles against the pass and in defending returns is reflected in the numbers.
*It feels like punt returns were kind of a disaster for OSU this season. Or, at best, an adventure. And yet the Cowboys ranked 23rd in the nation in that category. Go figure.
*Quinn Sharp and Joseph Randle will be missed.
Top of the heap
3. Scoring offense (45.61 points per game)
3. Net punting (40.89 yards per punt)
4. Total offense (547 yards per game)
4. Red zone offense (93 percent)
7. Passing offense (331.69 yards per game)
11. First down offense (26.62 per game)
11. Kickoff returns (24.96 yards per return)
T11. Fumbles lost (6)
T11. Sacks allowed (0.92 per game)
18. Passing efficiency (152.41 rating)
21. Rushing offense (215.31 yards per game)
T22. Tackles for loss allowed (4.62 per game)
23. Punt returns (11.44 yards per return)
T25. Tackles for loss (6.92 per game)
T25. Third down conversion percentage (46.20 percent)
29. Red zone defense (77 percent)
Middle of the pack
31. Third down conversion percentage defense (36.28 allowed per game)
37. Rushing defense (141.69 yards allowed per game)
44. Pass efficiency defense (125.14 rating)
T51. Fumbles recovered (11)
T55. Fourth down conversion percentage (50 percent)
T57. Turnovers gained (22)
T58. Turnovers lost (22)
T58. Turnover margin (even)
T63. Interceptions (11)
64. Scoring defense (28.23 points allowed per game)
T66. Sacks (1.92 per game)
T78. Fourth down conversion percentage defense (53.33 percent)
80. Total defense (421.69 yards allowed per game)
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 4515Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4167Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4139Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients