OSU football: Mike Gundy talks about the Yurcich hire on Sirius Radio interview
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
It’s still strange to me that, six days after his early morning tweet revealed the news, Mike Gundy is still yet to publicly introduce new OSU offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich.
No press conference, no meet-and-greet with the local media, not even a conference call to discuss the out-of-the-blue hire.
For now, all we’ve had to deal with is the original tweet, his initial comments in the university’s press release and a brief interview he conducted with Sirius Radio three days ago.
Here’s all Gundy had to say about Yurcich, also mentioning that Yurcich was set to arrive in Stillwater this past Monday:
“I was looking for a quarterback coach that had a good relationship with his players and had good experience in the passing game, and also would come in and run our system,” Gundy said in the interview with Sirius XM. “It’s a unique job here, because I believe in what we do here. I’m not interested in changing plays, I’m not interested in changing terminology. We’ve got 67 guys on our offense, and they all know all our plays. There’s no reason to change what we do.
“I would rather hire a coach that’s willing to come in and learn our system and continue to teach it. That’s what we get out of Mike. He’s got a great pedigree. He played the quarterback position, had success as a quarterbacks coach, receivers coach and an offensive coordinator. I feel like he’s a good fit for us.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients