Rapid reaction: Markel Brown shoots OSU to easy 91-67 win over Texas Tech
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
It was over when…
…OSU showed up determined. Tech’s overhauled program and underwhelming roster have no chance of competing with the Big 12′s elite if they come to play. So credit goes to Travis Ford for blocking out the distractions, preparing his players and doing what a high-level NCAA tournament team should do to a conference cellar dweller.
Star of the game – Markel Brown
For the second time during this season-changing win streak, Markel Brown came out scorching hot and seized complete control of the first half with his much-improved shooting stroke. Against Kansas, his five threes and 22 first-half points gave OSU the necessary cushion and confidence to pull off a wild upset. And against Tech on Wednesday, he was even hotter, drilling seven of his eight first-half triples, exploding for 25 easy points in 18 minutes, earning plenty of second-half rest on the bench. He also added four assists, two rebounds and two steals.
Unsung hero – Michael Cobbins
He’s not one of the two stars, but he’s been just as important lately. Cobbins has developed into a consistent rock among OSU’s previously inconsistent interior. Just look at his point-rebound numbers during this six-game streak: 7-7, 10-6, 8-8, 9-13, 4-3 and 13-12. Not eye-popping, but steady enough (to go along with great interior defense) that other teams must respect him, which allows Brown and Smart to roam more freely. On Wednesday, Cobbins went for his first career double-double (13 points, 12 rebounds).
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4180Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3744Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 3718Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients