Rapid reaction: Oklahoma State rolls past West Virginia 73-57 in Morgantown
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
Oklahoma State swept its season series with West Virginia on Saturday, beating the Mountaineers 73-57 in Morgantown on Saturday. Here’s some rapid reaction:
Marcus Smart’s third foul came less than three minutes into the game, leading to a quick seven-point deficit and what seemed like an early death sentence. But instead, it turned out to be a minor road bump and potentially a good development, giving some underused players important early burn. Markel Brown led the way in a first half resurgence (that included a 19-4 run), but Michael Cobbins, Le’Bryan Nash and Brian Williams were just as important, taking OSU into the break with a 35-33 lead.
It was over when…
…Smart returned an angry and determined man in the second half, quickly making up for lost time in a dominant way. He finished with 14 points, four assists and three steals (all coming after the break), bullying the West Virginia guards and doing whatever he wanted on the court.
Star of the game – Markel Brown
With Smart out and his backup Kirby Gardner ineffective, Markel Brown was forced into the point guard role. And he filled in more than admirably, calmly running the show in the half court and open court. He displayed great court vision, one of his most underrated skills, by dropping off three first half assists and tied for the team-lead with 16 points. Brown continues to make his case for All-Big 12 honors.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 19478Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17081OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 14402Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9893Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 9505Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7874Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7743Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 7139Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6156Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 5570Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients