Jake Spavital’s road from Oklahoma State GA to Johnny Football’s OC
Sports Illustrated’s Andy Staples recently caught up with new Texas A&M offensive coordinator Jake Spavital, a name Oklahoma State fans know from his one season as a graduate assistant under former offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen. Spavital first linked up with Holgorsen at Houston, then moved on to West Virginia with him as the quarterbacks coach following the brief stint at OSU. This offseason, he was hired to coordinate Johnny Manziel’s offense.
It’s a rapid ascension for a guy who hasn’t reached the age of 30 yet. But in the piece, Spavital spoke about how, because OSU’s staff was full when Holgorsen was hired, the only person he could bring with him to Stillwater was a GA. That meant Spavital, at 24 years old, was the one helping Holgorsen teach the Air Raid spread offense to the Cowboy assistant coaches.
Here’s the entire passage about that season at OSU:
The long hours (as at Houston) paid off after the 2009 season when Oklahoma State hired Holgorsen to run its offense when head coach Mike Gundy ceded play-calling duties. The only catch? Holgorsen couldn’t take any assistants with him. The Cowboys’ staff was full. “He could only take a GA,” Spavital said. “So he took me.”
Because Spavital knew the offense better than anyone in Stillwater except Holgorsen, Spavital had to help Holgorsen teach the scheme to the players and the other assistant coaches. That made for some awkward moments as the 24-year-old Spavital taught concepts to accomplished assistants. Heck, even the quarterback, former Minor League Baseball player Brandon Weeden, was older than Spavital. “I became a better coach, because I had to be smart,” Spavital said. “I had to know what I was talking about, because I’d get called out immediately if I didn’t.” Spavital remains grateful to Weeden and veteran Cowboys offensive line coach Joe Wickline for understanding the situation and making sure the install ran smoothly. Running Holgorsen’s offense, Oklahoma State shredded Big 12 defenses in 2010, and Holgorsen was tapped to be the next head coach at West Virginia. He brought Spavital as his quarterbacks coach.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15391Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9463Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8117Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7214Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6364Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6332Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6331Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5818Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 5611Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5224UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients