Oklahoma State spring football preview: Running backs and fullbacks
In Sunday’s Oklahoman, I broke down what’s sure to be another intriguing spring quarterback competition.
That piece is going to serve as the first of a position-by-position look at the 2013 Cowboys. The series will lead right up to the start of practice on Monday.
Next up? Running backs and fullbacks.
Joseph Randle, declared following junior season for the NFL Draft
2012 stats: 274 carries, 1,417 rushing yards, 14 rushing touchdowns, 28 catches, 224 yards
Jeremy Smith, senior
2012 stats: 70 carries, 371 rushing yards, eight touchdowns
Desmond Roland, junior
2012 stats: 46 carries, 301 yards, four touchdowns
Caleb Muncrief, sophomore
2012 stats: 14 carries, 57 yards
Who arrives for fall camp
Rennie Childs, freshman
Corion Webster, freshman
Randle’s early departure for the NFL leaves OSU without one of its most reliable, versatile and explosive offensive weapons. But it’s long been regarded that Smith would have started on most Big 12 squads the past two seasons, and he’ll finally get his big shot as a senior. Smith is a tough, downhill runner with more speed that he gets credit for, but he must work on his pass-catching out of the backfield. Additionally, health is a concern as Smith moves into the every-down back role, as he’s missed stretches of the 2011 and 2012 season with various minor-but-nagging injuries.
The spring is also big for Roland and Muncrief, who both got spotty playing time last season but are in contention for more carries. If they don’t produce, they run the risk of being passed over by a pair of incoming freshmen in Childs and Webster.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24778Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 14485Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 10221UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 9929Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 8118Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 7280Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6506Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6361Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6228Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 5696OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients