Gundy Gives Cowboys A Break — A Comedy Break
Still sensing an emotional hangover from the Bedlam loss, Cowboys coach Mike Gundy asked his team to do something different Sunday night.
Laugh a little.
OSU skipped its regular Sunday night practice, instead catching some standup comedy in the team’s meeting room, via Netflix.
“Everybody’s somber and down,” Gundy said. “And the truth of the matter is, our defense played (103) plays. Offense was up around 70-something. And there were special teams plays.
“We’re in our eighth week straight. We had this beautiful schedule were we played a game and had an open date, played a game and had an open date. So now we’re on an eight-week stretch here. We felt like they needed a break.”
Gundy said he decided “30 minutes before the meeting,” to give the players a choice to watch some comics do their thing, or practice.
An easy choice.
“We turned the lights off and they laughed and had the best time,” Gundy said. “And when it was over, we watched tape and graded it, ate dinner and sent them home.
“It kind of changed who they were at that time. They felt better about it.”
Gundy didn’t pick the comedians, instead allowing the players to suggest who to watch from the Netflix library.
As far as running back Joseph Randle is concerned, it’s just another example of Gundy being a player’s coach.
“You can play for somebody, but it doesn’t mean you respect them as a coach and a person,” Randle said. “But coach Gundy is definitely somebody that you can look at and you respect him. He cares about his players.
“He’s always good for a couple of random things. And I think it’ll pay off for us next week.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients