OU Punt Return: Should It Have Been Called Back?
With the Cowboys leading 38-30 in the early moments of the fourth quarter, OU’s Jalen Saunders broke off an 81-yard punt return for a touchdown.
Side judge Genko Semko threw a flag on the play for an apparent illegal block, but the flag was waved off, allowing the touchdown – and a major momentum shift.
“They just said they changed their mind,” Gundy said. “There are times when there’s debate over a call. But something has to fire in your brain to make your hand grab (the flag), pull it out of your pants and throw it way out there. A lot has to transpire for that to happen, to all of a sudden say, ‘I was wrong.’”
Making matters worse for Gundy, video reviews seem to show OU’s Jayden Bird shove Cowboys cover man Teddy Johnson in the back at the Sooner 24, sending him to the ground.
If the penalty would have held, the Sooners would have had the ball at the 12-yard line.
“Here’s what it was, it got the crowd in the game for the first time,” Gundy said of the return. “If they mark the penalty off, they’re going to start at the 12 or 13 or somewhere like that. And the crowd goes (flat).
“Instead, it lit a fire under them. That was as big as anything.”
Was it an illegal block? Here’s the video. Watch Bird (44) at the OU 24-yard line…
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients