By the numbers: Pass defense, punt return defense numbers drop
We all know that the numbers don’t tell the whole story (or as Todd Monken would say, “stats are, really, for losers”). But each week, we’ll update where Oklahoma State ranks in the NCAA’s major statistical categories.
With just one week left in the regular season, it’s difficult for a single game to swing a team’s season stats too much.
But Saturday’s Bedlam overtime loss did that for the Cowboys in a couple major areas — various pass defense categories, first down defense and punt return defense.
After Landry Jones’ 500 passing yards, the Cowboys dropped from 95th to 113th (284.73 yards allowed per game). After giving up 44 first downs, the second-most in NCAA history, OSU dropped from 63rd to 100th in first down defense (23.18 allowed per game). And after giving up an 81-yard punt return for a touchdown to Jalen Saunders, the Cowboys fell from 61st to 108th in that category (11.53 yards allowed per return).
OSU’s offensive numbers still remain high, of course. The Cowboys rank in the top 20 in virtually every major category.
Top of the heap
3. Scoring offense (45.64 points per game)
5. Total offense (547.91 yards per game)
6. Kickoff returns (26.58 yards per return)
7. Passing offense (332.64 yards per game)
8. Net punting (40.46 yards per punt)
8. Red zone defense (92 percent)
11. Sacks allowed (0.91 per game)
11. First down offense (26 per game)
T14. Fumbles lost (6)
19. Passing efficiency (153.01 rating)
20. Rushing offense (215.17 yards per game)
22. Rushing defense (124.36 yards allowed per game)
23. Third down conversion percentage (47.13)
24. Tackles for loss (6.91 per game)
28. Third down conversion percentage defense (34.97 percent)
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 18478Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8171OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6350Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6186Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6108OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4747Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4683Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3723Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 3514Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3353As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients