OSU’s Monken Talks Jobs
Todd Monken talked jobs the other day, specifically head coaching jobs.
He wants to be a head coach. Few assistants in the profession don’t.
Monken said he likes his current gig and he’s paid handsomely – $600,000 annually – to perform it. But he also likes the idea of leading a program. And he’s likely to become a candidate, again, just as he was a year ago. Only this time, with another year of strong resumé building at OSU, his options should be expanding. I had a story on this in Thursday’s paper, you can read it here.
On the HC topic, Monken had some fascinating and brutally honest takes (doesn’t he always?).
Here are the higlights:
On earning a promotion from coordinator to head coach:
“It’s hard enough to get a head coaching job without being a head coach. With all the money people are getting paid now, (school decision makers) don’t want to guess.
“The next step is an offensive guy who’s scoring. Put some people in the stands, exciting offense and all that. And that’s becoming more and more common. You have to take a smaller job, if you can, and win.”
On not taking just any job, but the right job:
“You’ve just got to be careful. It’s OK to wave at the neighbor lady, flirt a little bit. I don’t know if it’s across the street. Better be careful, might not want to go in the house. But it’s nice to be wanted. It’s nice to have someone tell you, ‘Hey, we want you. And here’s this amount of money. And a five-year deal. It’s your own program…’
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21059Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7331Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7023OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6693OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5627Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4676Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4297Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4215Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3462Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3297Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients