Oklahoma State opponent watch: Taking a quick look at Purdue
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
Oklahoma State faces Purdue in the Heart of Dallas Bowl. Here’s a quick look at the Boilermakers:
Conference - Big Ten
Record – 6-6 overall, 3-5 in the Big Ten
Best win – 56-35 over Indiana
You may scoff at the opponent, but it’s tough to find a better win among Purdue’s underwhelming list (Eastern Kentucky, Eastern Michigan, Marshall, Iowa, Illinois and Indiana). There’s not a bowl-eligible team among the six, which speaks loudly toward the general ineptness in the Big Ten this season, eventually won by an 8-5 Wisconsin team. So I’ll go with a nice 21-point season-ending blowout of an in-state rival to backdoor your way into a bowl.
Worst loss – 44-28 at Minnesota
Purdue’s losses are far more impressive than some of its wins. In all truth, a few of them actually legitimize their bowl eligibility, even if they didn’t help the Boilermakers get there. We’ll go with Minnesota as the worst defeat. The Golden Gophers aren’t good. But how about the Ohio State game? Or the Notre Dame game? Purdue put legitimate scares in both of the country’s unbeaten teams, taking the Buckeyes to overtime (one of two teams to do so) and losing to the Fighting Irish on a last-minute field goal.
Not great, not terrible. Just Purdue being Purdue. The Boilermakers won six games and lost six games, equaling their record from a year ago and eclipsing the mark they put up in the previous three. Nationally, they’ve been irrelevant for a while, struggling to stay above warted in the Big Ten and considering any bowl recognition a good one.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients