J.W. Walsh named Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year
Oklahoma State quarterback J.W. Walsh was named the Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year Wednesday in a vote by the league’s coaches.
Walsh finished the season completing nearly 67 percent of his passes for 1,478 yards, 11 touchdowns and three interceptions, while rushing for 277 yards and seven scores.
Walsh replaced injured starter Wes Lunt early in the Cowboys’ third game against Louisiana-Lafayette, then started the next three games for the Cowboys. Walsh suffered what was originally identified as a season-ending knee injury against Iowa State on Oct. 20, but returned in the Cowboys’ game against Texas Tech on Nov. 17 and was used as a change-up quarterback — mostly in short-yardage and goal-line situations — for the remainder of the season.
Walsh is Cowboy to earn the honor, joining Tony Lindsay in 1997.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13061Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11652Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5853Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5268Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4352Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4093Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4013How to help tornado victims
- 3642Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3374Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients