CB Jonovan Griffin leaves Oklahoma State
Oklahoma State cornerback Jonovan Griffin has left the Cowboy football program, a source confirmed to The Oklahoman Tuesday.
Griffin posted on his Twitter account late Monday that he was “leaving Stillwater for good.” As of Tuesday morning, he was no longer listed on OSU’s official online roster.
Griffin was set to receive his first playing time as a redshirt freshman in 2012, but never saw game action because of an early season-ending knee injury. He was rated a three-star “athlete” recruit by Rivals coming out of Boyd High School in McKinney, Texas.
Griffin’s departure puts a dent in OSU’s depth at cornerback moving forward.
The group will lose senior starter Brodrick Brown, and junior Justin Gilbert has been noncommittal about whether he will return for his senior season or declare for the NFL Draft. Junior Devin Hedgepeth is currently recovering from his third torn Achilles tendon in less than a year, and his football future is unclear.
True freshmen Kevin Peterson (18 tackles, two pass breakups) and Ashton Lampkin (17 tackles, one interception) have both seen significant playing time during their first seasons, and redshirt freshman Miketavious Jones is also set to return in 2013.
OSU’s secondary has struggled in 2012, ranking 115th in the nation in pass defense with 285.7 yards allowed per game.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90293Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14176Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8859Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7859Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7626Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 7605How to help tornado victims
- 6854OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 6186Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 5739Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 5547Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients