Rapid reaction: Oklahoma State blasts UT Arlington 69-44 in Stillwater
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
Oklahoma State cruised by UT Arlington 69-44 on Wednesday night, improving to 9-1 in nonconference play. Here’s some rapid reaction:
It was over when…
…UT Arlington did its best Mark Sanchez impression, finding new and embarrassing ways to turn the ball over. Overall, the Mavericks gave it away 31 times, many of them sloppy and unforced. It was by far a season-high in takeaways for the Cowboys’ stifling defense and only five away from a school record.
Star of the game – Markel Brown
There was a time Markel Brown was just a highlight dunker, but that seems long ago. His jumper is smooth, his decision-making is crisp and his defense is disruptive. And that was on full display Wednesday. Brown had a team-high 17 points to go along with an impressive six steals and two blocks.
Rising – Kirby Garnder’s role
Gardner’s confidence is growing by the game, and it’s showing on the court. The drop in competition may play a part, but he’s looked much smoother and decisive with the ball the past few weeks, providing important minutes off the bench. On Wednesday, he scored a season-high seven points on 3/5 shooting. That strong play from an underrated source will be key once conference season rolls around, particularly in games Marcus Smart gets in foul trouble (which is bound to happen).
Falling – Marcus Smart’s shot selection
Marcus Smart does everything on the floor. His incalculable impact has been well-documented. But the freshman has shown some minor flaws during the first 10 games of his career, most notably in shot selection. He’s shooting only 35 percent and has settled for far too many deep jumpers (not his strength), especially of late. In the past two games, Smart has taken 12 shots, 10 of them have been from three. That’s got to change as the competition increases.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 54539Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 32179Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 9189Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 3989Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 2759Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients