What's your favorite nickname/mascot?
For many Oklahoma high schools – especially small towns - the uniqueness of your nickname/mascot can mean the difference between obscurity and fame. State titles and first-round playoff losses. Total failure and resounding success … Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating quite a bit, but you get the point - a cool, original name (Commandos, Lumberjax) can bring name recognition to your school from across the state – and intimidate opponents in the playoffs - while a boring retread (Tigers, Wildcats, Indians) can leave you lost in the crowd of uniformity.
Anyways, I got to thinking about this subject Friday while researching the 40-odd high schools I’m in charge of for the upcoming football season – most of them being tiny schools in the southwest Oklahoma region. And while I have lived in Oklahoma all of my life, I’m not ashamed to admit that I had barely heard of a couple of these schools, nor could I point them out on a map. What I did notice, however, is that I had little trouble remembering and finding nearly every school with a nickname that stood out from the pack. Coincidence? I think not.
So I polled the other sports writers/editors in the office, and we came up with some informal selections for our favorite nicknames. What we want you to do now is leave a comment with your favorite nickname, whether we’ve already mentioned it or forgotten it entirely. Oh, and I’ll try to hold you to the standard I held our sportswriters - you can’t pick your hometown! (Like I can really enforce that)
Here are the favorites:
Blake Jackson: Beaver Dusters
Matt Patterson: Grove Ridgerunners
Jason Kersey: Miami Wardogs
Scott Munn: Clinton Red Tornadoes
Me (Zach West): Bray-Doyle Donkeys
Honorable Mention: Perry Maroons, Tulsa Cascia Hall Commandos, Watts Engineers, Stillwater Pioneers, Tulsa (Will) Rogers Ropers, Wright City Lumberjax, McAlester Buffaloes, Yarbrough Lobos, Chickasha Fighting Chicks, U.S. Grant Generals, Sand Springs Sandites, Yukon Millers, Jenks Trojans, Crooked Oak Ruf-Nex…….
So tell us what you think!
UPDATE: I’ve got to give props to the various responses so far, you all have come up with some good ones! Here’s a quick list of reader favorites: Atoka Wampus Cats, Alva Goldbugs, Sallisaw Black Diamonds, Enid Plainsmen, Eufaula Ironheads, Weleetka Outlaws, Wilburton Diggers.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6211Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5407Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4993Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4408OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3817Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3613How to help tornado victims
- 3586Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3014Oklahoma City Thunder: In his absence, Russell Westbrook's value becomes obvious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients