Controversy in Pauls Valley
By Jason Kersey
Pauls Valley is feeling a bit slighted after a controversial whistle possibly it a Week One win over Newcastle.
Late in the third quarter with Newcastle nursing a 9-7 lead, Pauls Valley linebacker Tyler Harding stripped the ball away from a Newcastle ball-carrier at around the Pauls Valley 15-yard line. Harding began sprinting down the Pauls Valley sideline with the ball, far away from anyone in a Racer uniform.
However, the official who threw the beanbag indicating a fumble also blew an inadvertent whistle, meaning the play was dead after the change of possession. The game ended with Newcastle winning by that same score — 9-7.
“It probably cost us a touchdown,” Pauls Valley coach Mike Terry said. “Officials make mistakes, but in a 9-7 ball game it doesn’t make you feel very good.”
Terry said his players were hurt, but are resilient.
“I told the kids (after the game): ‘I know you’re hurting and I don’t want you to feel good about a loss, but these first three games are non-district and aren’t going to affect our position for the playoffs,’” Terry said. “The kids are pretty resilient, a lot more so than adults are. I talked to some of them (Saturday), and they’re still down but the sun came up and they’ll be more games.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients