Sherm helps Perkins-Tryon to a win
By Jason Kersey
When it became apparent Perkins-Tryon quarterback Jake Hart wasn’t going to play in last Friday’s opener at Jones, coach Lloyd Wertman and his players didn’t panic. The Demons knew what they had behind Hart, and now everyone else does, too.
Sophomore Austin Sherm, making his first start, helped Perkins-Tryon to a 21-14 win over the Longhorns.
“That’s a tough environment for a sophomore to make his first start in,” Wertman said of Jones. “(Jones) is very well coached, very strong and they have good skill people. Austin did a fine job.”
Hart, a senior who threw for 1,152 yards and eight touchdowns and rushed for 523 yards and four scores a year ago, is back in his starting role.
“It’s always comforting to know that you have a quality back-up,” Wertman said. “We’re extremely glad that Jake is back, but it’s a great feeling as a head coach and a staff that he’s just a sophomore. We’ll have him for two years after this year.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 4046At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 3397Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 3003How to help tornado victims
- 2509Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 1115Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 620Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 439Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 371Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 366Hospitals treat more than 120 after Oklahoma tornado
- 314OKC Thunder: Thunder stuck with worst-case scenario
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients