State champion hurdler to start for Marlow
By Zach West
In the midst of its 37-0 loss to Tuttle Friday, Marlow head coach Matt Weber went back to the drawing board. Disappointed with the Outlaws’ effort and tackling, he decided to insert senior Casey Price at cornerback at halftime. While Price, who won the 4A state title in 300-meter hurdles as a junior, has plenty of athletic ability, there’s just one catch – he hasn’t played football since the eighth grade. Despite his limited experience, Price played well enough to earn the starting position for Tuttle’s game against Lindsay Friday night.
“He made a couple of really good tackles on that tailback that ran up and down the field on us,” Weber said, referring to Tuttle’s Bryce Moore, who ran for 215 yards and three touchdowns in the game. “Up until he started tackling, we hadn’t tackled anybody.”
And Price won’t be the only change for the Outlaws, who will also be featuring a new strong safety against Lindsay. Less than a year after an impressive run to the state title game, Weber struggled to explain why his team played so poorly in its opener.
“We just got our butts kicked. I think they were really embarrassed by their effort,” Weber said. “I’d like to say there were some bright spots, but there really weren’t. I’ve kind of got an uneasy feeling until we line up again on Friday.”
Rough riding ahead for the Outlaws
Weber’s uneasiness isn’t helped by the Outlaws’ next two opponents. Friday, Marlow will play Lindsay, which is coming off an upset of Class 3A’s 10th-ranked Purcell. In week three, Marlow will play traditional rival Comanche.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13360Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9892Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9697Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8639Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6622Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5282Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 4444Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4167Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4106Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients