Marlow coach not satisfied with effort in win
By Zach West
After a 37-0 loss to rival Tuttle to start the season, Marlow head coach Matt Weber was admittedly uneasy about his team’s poor performance.
When Friday came, senior running back Garrett Brown did his best to make that uneasiness go away against Lindsay. On the Outlaw’s first offensive play, Brown caught a touchdown pass, and had a punt return for a touchdown and a tackle-breaking run for a score during the game. Brown also took some snaps at quarterback during the Outlaws 54-6 blowout over the Leopards – a team coming off an upset of Purcell.
“He put us on his shoulders and played really, really well,” Weber said. “He wasn’t going to let us play like we did last week.”
While Brown’s performance was encouraging, it’s going to take a lot more than his breaking tackles for the Outlaws to make a repeat run to the state title game, Weber cautioned.
“We played quite a bit harder, but obviously it was quite a different monster than Tuttle,” Weber said. “I still feel like we need to give more effort. We watched film and had to rewind it several times to see people just flat-out loafing. We can’t compete doing that. I still think we’ve got the ability to be a good football team before it’s all said and done, but we’re not right now.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients