What a difference a year makes
By Ray Martin
A year makes a big difference.
Just ask Tulsa Washington coach Antwain Jimmerson.
“Our team is completely different than last year’s team,” he said.
Last year, Washington became a 6A contender after a triple overtime upset of then second-ranked Jenks (43-37).
This year was a different story.
Jenks pounded the Hornets, 69-0 Thursday night, avenging last year’s upset.
What happened in a year? Washington isn’t quite sure.
“You’ll have to ask Jenks,” Jimmerson said. “We aren’t sure what happened. They just totally dominated us.”
Washington has been injury struck thus far this season. Division-1 prospect John Williams was injured in week two, and will remain sidelined for at least two more weeks.
“Anytime you lose a Division-1 player it hurts you,” Jimmerson said.
But it doesn’t hurt you that bad. Not 69 points bad.
It was the worst loss in Washington’s history. The previous worst was a 41-0 loss at the hands of Douglass in 1957. They hadn’t been shutout since 2001, since Tulsa Kelley blanked the Hornet’s 26-0.
The Hornets still have plenty of time to bounce back. If they dont, things could be drastically better next year.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10801Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10490Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10422Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9824Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6498Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4191Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4093Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3771OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3668Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 3566How to help tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients