Magical night not surprising
By Robert Przybylo
Maybe the number of touchdowns Bethel quarterback Jace Johnson threw is surprising, but the talent the senior has exuded throughout the last two years has had me believing this has always been possible.
Johnson threw for 8 touchdowns and 336 yards in Bethel’s 54-14 win over Wellston, improving the Wildcats to 3-2 in the process.
Wellston has been good to Mr. Johnson. Last year, Johnson tied the school record with four touchdowns. Amazingly, Bethel coach Kevin Nichols has said in the past that there’s still more to come.
“Jace is an excellent runner,” Nichols said. “Last year, we didn’t have to use him that much because of Josh (Dutton). But this year with the injuries we’ve had, he’s been able to display those talents a little more.”
Meeker is certainly hoping history does not repeat itself. Last year, Johnson set the then school record with 5 touchdowns in a 42-28 victory. That was the end of a crazy night for me in Shawnee as I covered the Lady Wildcats’ softball team at ASA for the semis and then watched Jace put on his show at night. There’s no way Johnson can one-up himself this Friday, right? No, really, right?
Bethel has been an odd team to say the least so far this season. In its two losses, the Wildcats never sniffed victory ( a 32-13 defeat to 5-0 Bridge Creek in week 1 and a 42-12 thumping to 4-1 OCS in week 4). Nichols was ejected in the BC loss. In their three wins, the Wildcats have looked like a top-tier team in the crazy-loaded Class 2A. Outscoring opponents 132-46 in the three wins, yep, Bethel is a head-scratcher.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients