More thoughts about Butch Copelin
By Jason Kersey
I wrote a story for Friday’s Oklahoman about a mentally handicapped football player from Newkirk named Kyle Copelin. But he prefers the nickname “Butch,” given to him by his grandpa when he was a baby.
My first thought about this is: What an absolutely wonderful family. His parents – Jay and Jill – were so hospitable and helpful to me when I visited Newkirk last week.
I went up to Newkirk to get a feel for how Butch acts in normal high school football situations, such as weight lifting, film watching and practice. He is a truly special kid who just wants to be part of the team.
But watch out or he’ll “stir your chili!”
This morning (Monday), Jill Copelin called me to talk more about some of the things that happened for Butch after the article was published Friday.
She said it was impossible to find a copy of The Oklahoman in Newkirk. Also, the school received several calls from Oklahoma State season ticket holders who offered their tickets to OSU’s Saturday game against Sam Houston State to Butch. We certainly have some wonderful people in our state. But, all of those fine folks were able to keep their tickets because Butch and his dad go to all the games anyway.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13360Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9892Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9697Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8639Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6622Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5282Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 4444Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4167Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4106Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients