By Robert Przybylo
Anyone who knows me knows my favorite sport is boxing. So it pleases me to say that in the near future, there will be a nice boxing feature on some of the prep pugilists out there in The Oklahoman.
And one stands out more than the others: LaTyshia Green. A student at Emerson, Green is in a unique position for two reasons: 1) She’s involved in boxing, a very tough sport for kids to latch onto at an early age. 2) She’s the only female at the Badd Lands Boxing Gym in OKC and finding sparring partners is almost tougher than finding her fights.
But after talking with LaTyshia, it’s clear that boxing is not just a part-time thing. She had her first amateur fight Saturday night (lost) and is hoping to bank bout No. 2 next Saturday in Tulsa. I could talk boxing all day with people and it was refreshing to see names besides Muhammad Ali pop up as some of the favorites.
Boxing can’t rely on its past, so seeing names like Floyd Mayweather, Kelly Pavlik, Jermain Taylor and Roy Jones Jr. is nice to see as some of these high schoolers favorites.
I love Ali and Smokin’ Joe Frazier as much as the next guy, but people like Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao, Shane Mosley, Paul Williams, etc. are the boys who are going to light up HBO and Showtime.
Other prep studs include Dejan Rutesic from Putnam City and Joe Strong from Midwest City.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 25585Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 23461Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7978Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7892Fatal fire: Two arrested in Oklahoma City death of 7-year-old boy
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients