Plainview quietly emerging as a contender
By Jason Kersey
While the Clintons, Tuttles and Kingfishers of the world get all the attention in Class 3A, this little school down in Ardmore is flying under the radar. No one seems to talk about Plainview, but that is just fine by Indians coach Corey Cole.
Plainview has won only three district championships in its history. The team hasn’t won a playoff game since 1999. But I’m telling you, this team is for real.
Consider this: Plainview is averaging 42.5 points per game, which is just below Clinton (46.62) and just above Tuttle (39.38)
Plainview has outscored opponents this year by an average of just over 29 points per game.
The explosive Indian offense can be traced right to its passing game. The unstoppable combo of quarterback Brandon Allen to receiver Justin Blackmon has created problems for Plainview opponents all year.
Even in the Sulphur game, when Blackmon was contained because of double and triple team coverage, he was used to perfection as a decoy.
This week, the Indians have Marlow (6-2, 4-1). Last season, Plainview won the game, 16-14. Lots of people have forgotten about Marlow after the whooping it took from Tuttle in Week 1, but the Outlaws have quietly climbed back into contention. This game Friday between Marlow and Plainview could be for the District title.
The foregone conclusion that one of the powers from District 3A-1 will win the Class 3A state championship this year needs to be reconsidered. Plainview has a good shot to shock some people.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16166Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12480Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 11351'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11233Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11000Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 10503OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 7225Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 6948Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6833Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 6790Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients