A pair of Thursday night classics
By Robert Przybylo
Going into last Thursday, I had my eye on a couple of games, namely Weatherford at Anadarko and Chickasha at Ardmore.
Boy oh boy, did those games live up to expectations.
Let’s start in Ardmore where Mike Loyd compared his team’s improbable 34-28 OT win as one of the best games he’s been involved in.
The Chicks and star QB Wyatt Kinnamon dominated early, claiming a 28-6 lead heading into halftime.
But then slowly, the Tigers mounted their charge, led by running back Dominik Williams. No comeback could have happened if not for the defense stepping up its game, something Loyd attributed to as simply “effort.”
Chickasha went for it on fourth-and-one twice and with Kinnamon, why not? However, both times the Tigers were able to stop ‘em.
With 36 seconds left, Reed Downing threw a touchdown pass to Montre Washington, narrowing the gap to 28-27. Fine, make the PAT, let’s go to overtime.
Ah , but as Lee Corso would say, not so fast my friends.
Loyd said three things need to happen: good snap, hold and kick. Well, Ardmore didn’t get that first one as the snap hit the turf. Loyd credited holder Josiah Custer for getting the ball down in time for kicker Fran Guardarrama to get the kick through. It wasn’t smooth sailing as it deflected off the left upright, but it was good.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24594Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 16991Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 10679OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 9258Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 7954Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7390UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 6889Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 5783Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5259Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 4425Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients