Look out for Edmond North?!?!
By Robert Przybylo
On Thursday night, the Edmond North girls basketball team upset sixth-ranked (4A) Idabel. It wasn’t the win that was shocking, but the 56-40 handling of Idabel was.
Kevin Korstjens’ girls followed that with a victory over Ada, the host team of the East Central Classic.
It was a cute little story, but there was no way the Lady Huskies could topple Choctaw, right?? And not after trailing 18-1 in the first quarter, right?
Wrong. Behind stellar play from wise-beyond-her-years freshman Elizabeth Donohoe, Edmond North pulled off a fitting end in the final act, winning 54-53 on a game-winning free throw by Donohoe with eight seconds left.
That’s just how quickly 4-7 becomes 7-7.
Korstjens credits the turnaround to something basic: being healthy. He said no one has been severely injured or anything like that, but girls have been nicked up for a while.
Donohoe has been the spark for the Lady Huskies. This team was 6-16 last year and is another example of a fine turnaround.
Right now, Donohoe is playing in the post, but Korstjens said it varies as Donohoe has a fine perimeter game as well.
All ‘n all, a pretty good week for the Huskies. The boys won the consolation championship at McGuinness with a convincing 65-43 victory over Northeast.
It just gets tougher from here as Edmond North is at Choctaw on Tuesday night. You know full well the Lady Yellowjackets have revenge on their mind – should be fun.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients