Life without Nic Combs
By Ray Martin
Edmond Santa Fe guard and leading scorer Nic Combs (17.8 ppg) will miss tonight’s game against Mustang, and likely Friday night’s matchup with Edmond North after spending most of Monday in an Oklahoma City hospital.
According to Combs’ father, William Combs, the senior became ill after No. 3 Santa Fe beat Norman last Friday in the McGuinness tournament. He was lethargic, and ultimately ineffective (scoring only four points) in Santa Fe’s final round loss to McGuinness Saturday night.
Combs was taken to the Mercy Hospital emergency room Monday morning and did not leave until midnight. Doctors said Combs experienced severe dehydration, and likely became ill because of parasites or food poisoning.
I wish Combs a quick recovery, and I’m sure his teammates do as well.
So how will Santa Fe manage without its star? For all practical purposes, we saw how it played without Combs Saturday against McGuinness. Not to negate McGuinness’s win, but a healthy Combs would have changed the entire tone of that game. I think Santa Fe can survive against Mustang and Edmond North, but if Combs decides to wait until next Thursday to return (when Santa Fe plays in the Jenks tournament), expect a loss to No. 4 Putnam North next Tuesday.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients