State Swimming preview...
By Robert Przybylo
Well, tomorrow is Day 1 of the state swimming championships at the Aquatic Center at Oklahoma City Community College.
Notice the new start time of 11 a.m. to accommodate the fact there is now a Class 5A and 6A.
Won’t matter Friday as both classes will compete at the same time, but it will matter Saturday where 5A will swim first and then 6A.
Friday’s paper will have the preview, but there are some things that are not fit to print. In other words, I like to ramble on and on and the blog is the best place to do it
I can’t see anyone challenging Jenks. The biggest obstacle the Trojans faced was in the summer with the issues with coach John Turner. Those are long gone, and Jenks should claim yet another title.
Looking forward to seeing Stillwater’s Alex Barto again. I only get to see him at the state tournament, but he made quite the impression last year.
I do believe Norman North has two of the best boys in the entire state in sophomore Wilson Wei and senior Ian McKenzie. With that said, don’t think the Timberwolves will be fighting for anything better than third though both could win some individual titles.
Westmoore won’t make a dent in the team race, but Dakota Wheeler has a strong chance at earning a couple of individual crowns. His qualifying times in the 100 butterfly and 100 breaststroke are easily some of the best.
Interesting to see what happens with the Edmond teams. Both Memorial and North have solid swimmers with EM led by Daniel Enge and EN by Ryan Adams. But again, see them fighting for third, at best.
The birth of 5A will actually lead to a great race. No clear-cut favorite but Heritage Hall, Harrah, Fort Gibson and Bixby all have legit shots. And could be a dark horse or two with Chickasha and Altus, especially if Isaac McKnight dominates his events for the Chicks.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16352OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 13509Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12593Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 9784Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9412Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7721Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7510Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7432'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 7083Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6955Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients