By Ray Martin
When Blake Jackson, our multimedia reporter, suggested I play a game of HORSE in a video with Verdigris guard Rotnei Clarke, I knew it was a good idea.
But I never envisioned ESPN, the king of sports media, copying Blake’s work. Analyst Bill Walton played a game of HORSE with actor Will Ferrell, who plays in the movie “Semi-Pro”, which is set to release Friday.
The least Walton could have done was give me a call, shoot me an e-mail, heck, even put a disclaimer on his video!
Sure, ESPN has a few more resources and technological advantages than we do here at The Oklahoman. And sure, Bill Walton shooting hoops with Will Ferrell probably gets a few more hits than my video with Clarke. I’ll even concede that Walton is a better reporter than yours truly, and he probably had better questions for Ferrell in their interview.
But none of that takes away from the fact that his idea (or whoever it was that ripped us off) was completely unoriginal. The story behind their video is nothing more than two famous people who dressed up in Halloween costumes to shoot a few hoops, embarrassing themselves in process. It’s lame at best. Did Walton play high school ball with Ferrell? I think not. Did Walton hang out with Ferrell on the weekends, have dinner with his family on numerous occasions, and cry with him after losing in the state semi-finals? No way.
That’s what makes our video top notch, and original.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients