Day 1 Wrestling thoughts...
By Robert Przybylo
Friday started my three-week excursion to the good ol’ State Fair Arena. It’ll be my home away from home the next three weekends.
My fellow chum Matt Patterson will keep you up-to-date on what’s up in Classes 5A and 6A while I got your backs for 3A and 4A.
First day thoughts, observations, etc.
- Oh dem Perry Maroons. Perry is so dominant. Perry had 10 wrestlers qualify for the semifinals and will have six compete in the finals. Strangely enough, Berryhill knocked out three of Perry’s wrestlers while Blanchard’s John McCracken got the other.
- It’s a joy to watch Perry’s Ladd Rupp and Steven Swan operate. This is the second year I’ve done the lower classes, so I get to see these boys a lot. Still impressive.
- Kingfisher had a great day with four finalists. Chad Kochenower at 119, Brayden Hicks at 152, Cash Johnson at 189 and Joe Gaither at 215. All have that extra oomph for good stories. Matt has documented Kochenower’s battles with being deaf, I chronicled Hicks and his comeback from a torn ACL for Saturday’s paper. Yellowjackets won’t be atop the podium, but don’t be surprised by a second-place finish.
- Little shocking how many freshmen made waves today. I just figure freshmen wouldn’t know how to handle their body weight yet, but many solid outings all day and night from the young guns.
- The hope for 4-for-4 is still there. Chris Perry (Stillwater), Ladd Rupp (Perry), Dallas Bailey (Catoosa) and Jarrod Patterson (Cushing) all coasted into the finals. Bailey will meet Woodward’s Zach White in the finals in what may be the match of the tournament. The two have split in a pair of matches this season.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients