So you say it's A-gra, not Ag-ra
By Robert Przybylo
The running joke all weekend was “boy, those Agra fans are celebrating like they’ve never been here before.” Yeah, by Friday night, the joke had run its course, but still those Bearcat fans had an enthusiasm that was just, well, strange.
Because even if you wanted to be upset at them or cheered for the other team, it was so difficult to not find it, I don’t want to say cute, umm, how about endearing or mesmerizing?
The A championship was going to be a great story regardless of what happened. Thomas hadn’t been in the finals in 71 years and of course, A-gra hadn’t been there ever.
When Drew Chestnut tied the game at 30, all of press row was adding Chestnut’s bucket to our running tracker and nearly missed the Bo Reedy steal.
How could you not feel good for Agra coach Chad Dickerson? What a moment, definitely the sight that stood out from week 1 of the basketball championships.
A Boys Notebook
The Steal: Agra’s Bo Reedy has never gravitated to the spotlight. His game-winning free throw has put him at the center of attention of Agra’s 31-30 victory against Thomas.
Reedy connected on his first free throw with 1.3 seconds remaining to give Agra its first title.
But it was a defensive play he made 33 seconds earlier that gave the Bearcats the chance to make history.
After Agra’s Drew Chestnut tied the game at 30, Reedy stole the inbounds pass with 34.8 seconds left.
“I saw the Thomas kid crossing over, and I took a chance,” Reedy said. “I’ll be honest, I just got lucky.
“It wasn’t a hunch or anything like that. I just thought our team needed a lift.”
Agra called timeout shortly after the steal, setting the stage for the drama.
Simpson an inspiration to Terriers: There was one Thomas boys player who would have done anything to be out there for the finals.
His name is Quentin Simpson. The left side of his body is not fully developed because of birth defects. But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t contribute, Thomas coach Jim Petree said.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients