5A girls semifinals definitely worth your time
By Zach West
Four games, four double-digit victories.
That pretty much summarizes my day covering the 5A girls quarterfinals.
(That is, unless you count the 30 minutes I spent frantically trying to figure out if people were just goofing off or if Putnam City really did get upset in the 6A boys tournament. Yup, they lost somehow. And I nearly lost my mind trying to send texts and call people while writing a deadline story.)
Anyways back to 5A girls. Thursday was pretty boring - just a bunch of dominant teams easily handling weaker opponents. Fortunately, this dominance means we have some pretty sweet semifinal match-ups coming up on Friday.
First, there’s Carl Albert and Coweta playing at 10:30 a.m. in the Ford Center. For starters, Carl Albert’s ranked No. 3 and Coweta is No. 2, which means fireworks should fly. What really piques my interest in this game, however, is that both teams essentially played identical games on Thursday. They came out, shot horribly in the first half, and then rebounded in the second half behind the stellar play of one particular player (Jenni Bryan for Coweta, Kylie Mayes for Carl Albert). So can both players – sophomores, mind you - keep up the hot streak? And are the teams going to come out affected by nerves again? We’ll soon find out …
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 402At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 378Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 347How to help tornado victims
- 247Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 147Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 93Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 52Social media used to send prayers and condolences to Oklahoma in wake of deadly tornadoes
- 51Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 35High schools: Practices called off long before tornado hit Moore
- 32Expert rips Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation's handling of murder case
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients