The Impact of Brooks Mosier
By Robert Przybylo
(Mosier, center, two years ago flanked by Parker Burnett, Bryan Owen and Taylor Daniels. Photo by Steve Sisney, The Oklahoman)
I really shouldn’t be the one writing a Brooks Mosier career retrospective. Two years ago, I hadn’t met the man and didn’t even know who he was.
I didn’t know about all of his various coaching stops (Southeast, Northwest Classen, John Marshall, U.S. Grant, Western Heights, Newcastle and OCS, to name a few) or his near 50 years in the coaching profession.
All I knew he was some legendary coach everyone talked about who was returning to coaching after beating cancer.
But it only took a couple of meetings to realize what a special human being he was. So maybe in that regard, I’m the perfect person to be writing this.
I only met Mosier a couple of times. I would call him occasionally to see how things were going at Community Christian. And in my brief conversations with him, I quickly learned what the fuss was all about.
After every conversation, I was either left laughing or smiling about something he said or about some odd comparison he made.
It reached a point where I would start to go out of my way to find out how things were going at the small Christian school in Norman.
I remember talking to Mosier the day after this year’s Christian schools championship where Destiny Christian defeated CCS on a hook-and-lateral.
The finish alone is worth talking about, but the fact that Mosier watched the game from his car is something I still can’t fathom.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients