The Connelly Family Tree...
By Robert Przybylo
It’s finally state tournament weekend for tennis. Whoo hoo, didn’t think it would ever get here.
Bishop McGuinness moved up from Class 4A to 5A, but it doesn’t seem to have posed any problems for the Irish, who are gunning for their 11th team title in a row.
No family has played a bigger role in that than the Connelly group. Being in the Oklahoma City area, think tennis, think the Connelly family and the Villaflor family at Heritage Hall.
Dick Villaflor still has a couple years left with Carissa, but this weekend marks the final time for a Connelly as Katelyn looks to make it four team titles and three individual titles with mother Vicki coaching the squad.
Katelyn is the last of five, so for those that don’t remember, a little trip down memory lane with the family.
Sarah Jane Connelly, 26, won team titles in 1999, 2000 and 2001. Won No. 1 singles titles in 1998, 1999 and 2001. Graduated from University of Notre Dame.
Lauren Connelly, 25, won team titles in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002. Won No. 2 singles titles in 1999, 2000, 2001 and No. 1 singles title in 2002. Graduated from University of Notre Dame.
Andy Connelly, 23, won team titles in 2003 and 2004. Won No. 1 singles titles in 2003 and 2004. Graduated from Tulsa.
Morgan Connelly, 22, won team titles 2003 and 2004. Won No. 2 doubles title in 2004. A senior at Oklahoma.
Katelyn Connelly, 18, won team titles in 2006, 2007, 2008. Won No. 1 singles title in 2007 and No. 2 singles in 2008. Will attend OU.
Add it all up, and it’s a whopping 14 team titles and 12 individual titles. But technically, there is even more now.
Andy married former OCS great Brook Buck, who earned four individual titles herself. Brook also graduated from Notre Dame.
So with extended family, it’s 16 individual championships.
Had an opportunity to talk with Jim Connelly, the father of the kids, and he had some interesting little tidbits.
He talked about how Vicki used to drive the kids to school and then play in a tennis match at 8:30 a.m. She doesn’t do that anymore as he said she has found golf instead.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 94547Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17200OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12970Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8745Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8636Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8239How to help tornado victims
- 7488Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 7422Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6833Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
- 6608Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients