Comets still scorchin'...
By Robert Przybylo
When it came to Class 5A in the boys state tennis tournament, my only question like I said was whether or not Bishop Kelley would sweep in earning its third straight title.
The Comets were denied at No. 2 singles by Jonathan Kraft of Bishop McGuinness, but that’s it.
Because of time constraints and everything going on at once, didn’t really get a chance to watch the No. 1 final of Cale Hammond vs. Evan McElwain of Booker T. Hammond won easier than I thought he would, too. Hammond is a special talent, for sure.
Tulsa Kelley winning wasn’t a shock, but I’ma say McGuinness tying for second was.
There are those that think Vicki Connelly isn’t that great of a coach because of the talent the girls have (think the Phil Jackson comparison in the NBA), but Connelly did a fantastic job this weekend with that boys team.
They played better than I’ve seen from them all year, and she kept Kraft’s head in the game after losing the second-set tie-breaker to Brennan Fox of Bishop Kelley.
The epic Union-Norman North doubles match just concluded, and I went right over to watch the third set of Kraft-Fox.
I’ll tell ya, you look at Kraft and think there is no way he is going to do anything to you. The No. 2 doubles team of Ryan Randolph and Jake Brown could almost step on the kid (maybe that’s too far), but Kraft showed the mental toughness of a senior in his freshman frame.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 88132Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 35601Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 5828Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 4402Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients