Panthers make history...
By Robert Przybylo
Wow, was that Class 6A race at the boys state tennis tournament one of the more exciting things The Boneman has seen in a while.
Seriously, I’m sad it’s all over now. Can’t get me enough of tennis.
In the end, it was a “North” thing that led to Putnam North getting its first team championship.
The Norman North doubles team of Kevin Boyd and Sam Geurkink beat Tulsa Union in a three-set match of the tournament to prevent Union from tying the Panthers for the title.
I watched most of the second and third sets with PCN coach David Diefenderfer. That in itself was quite the experience.
Asked how nerve-racking it was to have his fate decided by somebody else:
Unbelievably. When you have no control over it, it’s worse than watching your team and controlling your own destiny.
It’s been a long time coming. I thought Union was going to be able to do it, but this group is a special group of kids.
As I said in Sunday’s piece, it’s not like Putnam North was handed over the title. Union was a four-time defending champ that went out on its shield.
But in every match possible, the Panthers stepped up. A lot of weight was put on sophomore Chris Haworth’s shoulders, but he came through with a championship and a 38-0 record.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11312Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5665Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 5178Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4351Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4349OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4135How to help tornado victims
- 3981Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 3781Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 3432Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients