Final tennis rankings (boys and girls)
By Robert Przybylo
The tennis season is over and so too is the speculation about all the rankings. Duncan coach Phil Barnes has passed along to me both the final boys and girls rankings as decided by the Oklahoma Tennis Coaches Association.
1. Bishop McGuinness: No surprise here. The Irish won their 11th straight title and totally deserve the honor. If this was an AP football/basketball poll, girls would receive all first-place votes.
2. Bishop Kelley: Won three straight titles before McGuinness came along in 5A and denied it. Andrea Lewis and Meredith Burns don’t have to take a back seat to anybody, and it was a joy to watch them play.
3. Duncan: Yep, when I said 5A was top-heavy all season, wasn’t kidding. First three teams are from the class. Melanie Barnes will anchor the crew next season.
4. Heritage Hall: Three and four are tough. Only because I’ve seen Heritage more would I flip ‘em. The 4A champs will have Julie Labarthe back, Carissa Villaflor grew tremendously as a player this season while Sarah Bowen might end up being one of the most athletic players the state has seen.
5. Edmond North: And here is your 6A champ. Rachel Mitcham will return at No. 1 singles and Huskies should be knockin’ on the door again.
7. Edmond Memorial
8. Broken Arrow
9. Cascia Hall
Only change in my rankings would be Chargers at No. 3 and Duncan at No. 4. That’s it, pretty fair assessment of the season by the rankings committee.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11190Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11015Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9873Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8372Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4481Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4243Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4027OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3513Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3480How to help tornado victims
- 3393Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients