By Robert Przybylo
Last year as a pre-emptive strike, I explained in-depth why I chose all six Bishop McGuinness girls on my All-City team.
No such explanation this year as very confident/satisfied with the selections of Chris Haworth of Putnam North and Whitney Ritchie of McGuinness as the Players of the Year. For their stories, go here and here.
Equally pleased with David Diefenderfer of Putnam North as the boys coach of the year and Dee Ann Wallar of Edmond North as the girls coach.
Wallar is a funny story. I remember introducing myself to her back in February of last year. She was about to coach tennis for the first time ever as she traditionally helps out with the wrestling team.
She became a sponge, just absorbing the information from the other top coaches in the state and when push came to shove, she put out the best line-up possible for the Huskies at the state tournament.
Diefenderfer, well, I’ve written about that before about how emotional it was for him to watch that match between Norman North and Union to decide the team championship.
Biggest question was the second doubles team. Gave the edge to Brian Diefenderfer and T.J. Becker of Putnam North over Edmond Memorial’s Truit Gray and Gavin Dubberstein.
Any other year and Norman North’s Sam Geurkink and Kevin Boyd win Players of the Year. Just picked the wrong year, but what a fantastic season for the both of them.
Edmond North is on the cusp of something great as all six of its players will return. And all six were right on the border of making the first/second teams.
It’s possible Wallar might be earning that coaching honor again next year, except for the boys this time around.
The big-time debate I had surfaced around Heritage Hall and McGuinness and putting Julie Labarthe over Mia Lancaster for the first team slot.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16150OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 14605Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 10995Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 9399Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 9121'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 8921Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 7695Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7584Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 7477Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7078Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients