Football coaches out in full force...
By Robert Przybylo
Remember how I wrote Monday was kinda slow? Well, not so much Tuesday. Knew it was a good sign when the first couple of coaches I saw Tuesday were of the football variety.
It didn’t slow down all day, and there were a lot of interesting news and notes from Day 2 of the coaches clinic in Tulsa.
A lot of the discussion is surrounding the re-districting (which will happen Wednesday at 3 p.m., for those wondering).
Purcell coach Mike Wilson said the fact there are 57 teams in the “super” 3A is going to really put a strain on scheduling.
“You’re looking at seven-team districts and that is going to cause a problem,” he said. “I think it’s a poor way to split it up, but we’ll find out.”
Another interesting fact comes from “my boy” Grant Gower of Deer Creek. Apparently, the Antlers can’t stop growing.
Deer Creek’s ADM has it right in the thick in 5A at just under 900 students. Gower told me Deer Creek will have 966 students this year.
Not only that, but plans for more elementary and middle schools are underway. It wouldn’t shock him if a few years from now, Deer Creek is up in 6A.
It’s a good point, but the problem right now with Deer Creek is the football stadium is of a 3A quality. And the press box, well, let’s not even go there.
“That thing would survive the second coming,” Gower said. “Nothing can tear that down.”
Either way, sounds like a real exciting time to be a part of the Deer Creek family.
Moving to Edmond North, and it’s tough to get that smile off of head coach Jeremy Dombek’s face right now.
After a disappointing 4-6 season (and losing its final two games to miss out on the playoffs), Dombek thinks this is his best squad since coming to the Huskies.
And why not? With Joe Aska and Qua’Don Henderson touching the ball and on the field at the same time, don’t be surprised to see Edmond North in the conversation in 6A.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 19791Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7602OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6827Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6472OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5877Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4499Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4468Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4211Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 3402Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3381Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients