Heritage Hall sees record turnout for two-a-days
By Zach West
The first morning of Heritage Hall two-a-day football practices has come and gone, and head coach Andy Bogert is just happy he has enough equipment for everyone.
The Chargers are experiencing a record turnout for football this year, with over 80 kids arriving for the season’s first official practice. Bogert said the most kids Heritage Hall had seen previously was around 60.
“We’re close to being out of equipment,” Bogert said. “We got lucky and ordered another 20 extra helmets.”
Making matters even more interesting, Bogert moved the Chargers’ first practice to the school’s indoor facility because the outdoor fields were too wet. Squeezing 80 kids indoors, however, proved to be a challenging task.
The reason for the influx of players is simple: the Chargers have an enormous freshman class with over 30 players. The group is so large that Bogert plans on fielding a freshman team with its own schedule for the first time, well, ever.
“That helps immensely,” Bogert said. “The more you can get in the mix in a game situation, the more you can progress.”
Other interesting tidbits from Heritage Hall:
*Today marked the first high school practice for Barry Sanders, Jr., the son of former OSU and NFL legend Barry Sanders. Sanders, Jr., a 5-10, 170-pound freshman, already runs a 4.6-second 40-yard-dash and will likely see the field on offense, defense and special teams this year, Bogert said.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12863Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11549Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5770Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5166Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4505OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4325Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 3991Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3926How to help tornado victims
- 3623Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3239Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients